Friday, November 28, 2014

A Very Unhappy BIrthday-By Susan Thomas

December is on the horizon.
A chill in the air.
Christmas Carols, Decorations, and Good Cheer
are on everyone's lips.
In the distance,
we all begin to sense...the coming of a new year.
All begin to think,
of the wondrous party,
an excuse to stay up late,
to kiss a handsome stranger.
Everyone's hearts are merry,
except my own.
As the last day of the year
     draws near,
I wish the holiday to hasten.
I wish December to disappear,
without a trace.
Leaving my birthday,
unmarked,
uncelebrated.
Leaving me alone,
and not robbing me of joy.
My birthday,
that is the buzzkill of any party.
As a child,
it may have been grand,
but as years passed,
and wisdom grew
it was plain to see...that my birthday,
was naught but an incovienence.
The huge party's that night,
were never for me.
The cake
presents
birthday wishes
all just an after thought.
Something to get out of the way,
so the merry party...could continue.
Always,
having to wait,
to celebrate what should be a happy day.
My birthday,
such an inconvience,
that it simply,
can't be celebrated on its own.
So I say
let the day go unmarked.
Let it pass,
with no birthday wishes.
Forget about me
go to your parties.
Perhaps if for once,
all just forgot,
then maybe just once
on my birthday,
I could be happy.
Not have my joy stolen,
as the reminder
that I'm second rate,
to the coming new year
is joyfully shoved in my face
over
and
over.
Leave me be.
No birthday wishes please.
Let me keep my joy
as you celebrate the new year.
All I wish for,
if you truly care,
is a quiet evening home.
Where the only hints of birthday,
come from a joyful son
and loving husband.
Who stay in,
and let me feel special,
when often I am made to feel
like an afterthought.
Leave the well wishes
to my husband, son, and unborn daughter.
If you must wish me happiness,
then wish me a happy new year.
But please for the sake of my happiness,
forget my birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment