Thursday, September 29, 2016

For This Country I Sit

Crowds slowly file in
            one...by...one
looking for their seats

I sit in my seat 
       and watch all the wondrous diversity

People of all colors 
shapes
backgrounds
faiths coming together for some fun

Thousands come 
the noise of all their voices
          hums throughout the air

Then the national music begins to play
          people stand in mindless obedience
                     an army of voices sing void of any emotion
                             no apparent connection to the treasured lyrics of the anthem

I sit quietly in my seat, as I've done....
                 for years. 

No one once objected
      became offended
      asked why
       or paid any attention
They were too busy doing as they were told

Then an athlete
        chooses to do the same as I
                his reasons his own
        and the nation cries out:
               HOW HORRIBLE!
                    HOW DISRESPECTFUL! 
                            I just shake my head

I do not stand 
      because I will not
              worship a flag 
                      or country

I do not stand
     because I see...
           hate running rampant in the streets
                 love greeted with anger

I do not stand 
      at this present moment because...
the U S of A has offered
       me little to be proud of

Instead I sit quietly
            as I have done...for years
            thinking and praying, instead of singing mindlessly
                 thinking and praying for 
                       lives lost in war
                        a families tears and pain to eased
                        for a country who talks
                              about respecting our veterans
                                     but treats them like worn out trash. 

I pray instead of mindlessly 
       worshiping the flag or country
As is my God given right. 

So do me
       and others like me a favor
   quit trying to force 
          us to respect a country
      that has done nothing to earn our respect.

We have respect for the sacrifice people made
       what was fought for

but in my eyes
       and others
there sacrifice was spit upon
       with the ignorance and hatefulness of this country 

For that 
      we sit.

No comments:

Post a Comment